Saturday, December 15, 2012

Merry "Beach"mas


Twenty years ago I moved into a new home, in a western suburb of Chicago, just three months after the neighbors next door.  Beth and I eventually got to know each other and I am confident we will be friends for life.

Beth (right) and me
Our friendship is an unlikely one, an odd couple of sorts.  When we met I was working full time, she stayed home to raise her children.  She's a Mom, I am not.  I'm a city gal, she's a suburbanite.  Our age gap is 13 years.  The differences go on and on, however, Beth has become the kid sister that I never had.

We were friends and neighbors for 10 years, then we both moved to new locations, again, within three months of each other.  Beth moved further west for better schools for her children and I moved back to Chicago to be closer to my family. The miles between us have not altered the friendship.

One thing we have in common is our love of warm weather, blue skies and beautiful beaches.  My dream would be to live near Keawekapu beach in Maui, Hawaii.  Beth's dream location is Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  Dreams are wonderful, but if they come true there will be even more miles between us, however, I suspect that travel arrangements could be made.

For Christmas this year, I am sending her a little beach of her own.  I had so much fun making beach cookies  last summer that I decided to fashion it into a tree for the Christmas season.


Merry Christmas friend.  I wish you peace, joy, love and dreams of warm beaches. . .


3 comments:

  1. Couldn't be cuter or more personal for Beth! I absolutely feel the sand beneath my toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth wrote via FB: "This is the most touching and thoughtful gift I could have ever received. Thank you so much!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story behind these awesome cookies! I love Maui too and would settle for just one "Christmas by the Sea"..pinning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...