Monday, November 19, 2012

It's Turkey Time


A few weeks ago I traveled to western Illinois to spend time with my wonderful friend, Donna.  We had good food, a little wine, and long talks that included cookie decorating.

During the weekend we discussed plans for Thanksgiving and what cookie designs we were going to make.  Of course, it wouldn't be the traditional holiday without turkeys, so Donna and I brainstormed and came up with the idea of combining turkeys with football, another holiday tradition.

Over the years I've made a variety of turkey cookies, so it was nice to have something new to create.

Since I will be heading from Chicago to Packer territory for the holiday, both the Bears and Packers are represented.  I also tried to make them somewhat whimsical to reflect the silly turkey in the book,  Blue Hat, Green Hat, by Sara Boynton.  In our family it is lovingly referred to as, the "Oooops book" because that's what the turkey says throughout the story.

The turkeys are wearing numbers that represent the ages of children in the family.  My great-niece, Leann, likes to say, "I'm 4 AND A HALF."  The upside down turkey wearing the colors of both teams is for Elliot.  He's very diplomatic and cheers for both teams, but he's only 2.

If your family is like ours, your Thanksgiving dinner will be served with a side of football.  However, one thing that I know I will be grateful for this year is that the Bears and the Packers are not playing each other on the holiday.

You can view Donna's turkeys here.

Enjoy the holidays with your family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Elliot's is my favorite. Only you would think of that! This football idea may have come from the "Ooops" book, but I don't think these turkeys were a mistake (except for putting Packers and Bears on the same plate). They are sure to be a hit with the family football fans. Happy Thanksgiving, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...