Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Celebrating a Life Well Lived

Dad would have been 88 today, but we had to say good-bye to him a few weeks ago.   I was lucky to have this gentle, caring, hard working man as my Dad.  His was a life well-lived.


From pro baseball to family man . . .  smiling at his surprise 80th birthday party . . .  wearing his Cub hat in the hospital . . .  Dad was surrounded by children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends until the very end.

Since Mom has vision loss, Dad always wore a Cub hat with a white front, so she could see him when they were out shopping.

Over the past several years, star cookies have become a special bond between my "Sugar Sister," Donna, and me.  This time I was on the receiving end of the stars, with a special Cub hat included in the collection.

Diane,
Both of us would like to go back to baby shower onesies
 and cute little animal cookies. 
 Instead, we are gazing at stars . . .
Perhaps they are not stars in the sky,
but rather openings where our loved ones
shine down to let us know they are happy.
May you find peace as you look upward,
 knowing that your father is waiting at the gate wearing his white Cubs hat, 
so all of you can find him!
My prayers embrace you and all your family.
--Donna



 
Thanks, Dad, for teaching me the meaning of unconditional love.
You will always be in my heart, and in the stars shining down on me.


1 comment:

  1. How honored I am to be included in such a loving post for your father. I know he was a remarkable man, because he raised my remarkable friend! They say we leave this earth with only what we can carry inside our hearts. Your father had an oversized load of love from his family. May you find peace and joy in the midst of tears as you celebrate your father today. My love always, Sugar Sister! Donna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...